The Islamic New Year (al-Hijrah)
• The Islamic new year begins on the first day of the month of Muharram.
• The Hijri calendar is counted from the year of the Hijra (the year in which Prophet Muhammad emigrated with Sayiduna Abu Bakr from Mecca to Madinah over 1400 years ago ( Year 622 R).
• The Muslim Hijri Calendar has 12 months. Each month is either 29 or 30 days.
• The Hijri months are: Muharram, Safar, Rabi al-Awwal, Rabi al-Akhir, Jumada al-Awwal, Jumada ath-Thaniy, Rajab, Sha^ban, Ramadan, Shawwal, Dhu'l-Qa^dah, Dhu'l-Hijjah
• I ask Allah to accept our sacrifices, and I ask Allah to accept our good deeds, Happy Eid and Happy New year.
For info about the Prophet's Hijrah, see: